Minnie Mouse Birthday Party on a Budget



It is a surreal feeling to have my baby turn 5 and go to Kindergarten this year. I can't believe 5 years ago I was craddling my last little baby. There are so many happy and wonderful things about this age, I wouldn't trade it. But there are times when I wish I could go back in time, if only for a day and hold my little baby again.


As a way to simplify, we have decided to only throw "friend parties" on the big years, Kindergarten (5 or 6), Baptism age (8), 12, 16 and 18. This year was Lily's year! Even though we only have birthday parties every couple of years, I still like to plan it on a budget. I did a Harry Potter Birthday Party on a budget that has become my all time most visited post.

For privacy purposes, I won't show any pictures with the children at the party, but I am going to share the party details. The cheapest and easiest way I have found to do the cake and icecream tradition is with cupcakes. They are fast, affordable and easy to make.


I made these with the new Mini York Peppermint patties for the ears and the middle sized ones for the head. It turned out to be the perfect size!


What would a Minnie Mouse party be without Minnie Mouse ears? I made mine out of felt and glued them to a bow onto a bow clip. Here's the video tutorial I used to make the bow. I got two large sheets of black, stiff felt for the ears (only .79 each) and a roll of ribbon (1.49) and metal hair clips (2.99). I made 12 Minnie Mouse ears for $5.79! And they are quality and likely to be used for a while and not just thrown away like the cheap papers ones that cost even more money!



For activities, we tried to keep it simple. First we did our "Minnie Mouse Make-over" and put everyone's ears and bows on. Then we served lunch. After lunch, we played hot potato with a stuffed Minnie Mouse, we played "find Minnie Mouse" by hiding a toy Minnie Mouse outside and having the girls go find her. We also colored a Minnie Mouse coloring page. Our last game was "Pin the Bow on Minnie." I made Minnie's head with the extra black felt and the bows with some pink, polka dot felt. It worked wonderfully.


For decorations I kept it affordable with tissue paper flowers, streamers and a chalkboard paper Minnie Mouse door sign. Here is everything all pulled together:







Lily had a wonderful time and so did her friends. I stayed within my budget ($30) and only spent about 2 hours of prep work on the party. Now that's what I call a good time. Happy Birthday, sweet Lily.


Comments

Unknown said…
How did you make the door sign?? It's adorable and I"d like to do this for my daughter's birthday.
Unknown said…
I love the party and I didnt meant to notice but I love the Christ picture on the wall Thats one of my fav pics!!! <3
Leslie said…
Did you make the door sign? I love it!

Popular Posts